Share This Gif On Your Site (Copy the code below)
This simple exercise mainly builds your ab muscles and strengthens your core.
Major Muscles Worked
Other Muscles Worked
Ab Curls Guide
- Lie down on the floor on your back and bend your knees.
- Place your hands behind your head or across your chest If you are putting your hands behind your head, your fingers should gently cradle your head. The idea is to support your neck without taking away from the work of your abs.
- Pull your belly button towards your spine in preparation for the movement and to protect the back from injury.
- Tighten abdominals while bringing your shoulder blades about 1 inch off the floor.
- Exhale as you come up and keep your neck straight, chin up. Imagine you’re holding a tennis ball under your chin. That’s about the angle you want to keep the chin the entire time.
- Hold at the top of the movement for a few seconds, breathing continuously.
- Slowly lower back down, but don’t relax all the way.
- Do 15 to 20 reps or any number of reps that may be recommended.
- Ensure that the hands under your head are not pulling your head as it causes strain to the neck.
- Take time to hold the position once crunched up and do crunches to a height that is workable and a pace that is more effective than a matter of being fast.
- Arch your back a little bit lower from the floor.
Benefits of the Ab Curl Exercise
Can be carried out anywhere and does not require any gym equipment.
Helps in abs toning and strengthening the core.