Punching techniques are necessary for a workout and Dumbbell Crossover Punch is one of the most effective upper arm exercises. The exercise engages both the triceps and biceps.
If you are into boxing or into MMA fighting, do not skip this workout. The exercise helps you increase your punch momentum and have flexible and strong-arm muscles.
HOW TO DO DUMBBELL CROSSOVER PUNCH PROPERLY
With a number of variations, we will go with the technique that engages the most muscles and effectively works on the primary muscles.
Use weights that best fit your fitness ability. In case of any injuries and assistance, inform your trainer/gym instructor.
- Grab two dumbbells (same weight) each on one hand in an overhand grip.
- Stand with your feet shoulder–width apart, knees slightly bent and elbow tucked in with the weights held by your chest sides. This is your starting position.
- Inhale and push your right arm out in a punching motion while twisting at the torso and sticking your right heel out. Do the punching motion towards your left side (crossover).
- Completely stretch out your right arm and foot to activate the muscles. Engage the core in each motion.
- Exhale and go back to your starting position.
- Do the same on the left side and continue switching sides in a smooth transition.
- Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
WHAT MUSCLES DO DUMBBELL CROSSOVER PUNCH WORK
The deltoid muscle is a triangular shoulder muscle that has three parts each playing a role in arm motion and protection. The muscle plays a significant role in arm abduction and stabilization.
When doing the Dumbbell Crossover Punch, the muscle helps keep the arm stable while extending and flexing. Developing and strengthening the muscle helps in keeping strong and flexible shoulders.
UPPER ARM MUSCLES
The biceps and triceps are the muscles that are effectively worked on while doing this workout. Extending and crossing over, stretches the muscles and activates the muscles.
The triceps is an extensor of the forearm at the elbow joint and the biceps helps in strong forearm flexion and shoulder joint stabilization.
Constant working out the muscles effectively strengthens them and develops the muscles well.
LATISSIMUS DORSI MUSCLES (LATS)
The Lats are the muscles that connect your arms to your vertebral column. The muscles help to stabilize and protect your backbone. The muscle also helps in arm and shoulder movement and maintain a good posture.
With the motion of this technique, the lats are activated and strengthened.
DUMBBELL CROSSOVER PUNCH BENEFITS
STRENGTHENING AND DEVELOPING UPPER BODY
The upper body constitutes of a bunch of body parts; the arms, the chest, the shoulders, and the upper back muscles. On a day-to-day activity, it is guaranteed you will lift something, stretch to pick something or even work out as usual. All these activities require our muscles to be in a certain shape `to do our activities to the best of our muscle ability.
Incorporating a dumbbell Crossover Punch helps in strengthening the upper arm muscles and building the muscles with the weight of the dumbbell.
UPPER BODY FLEXIBILITY
When you perform the crossover technique, the arms are stretched the same as the torso and lats which relieves the muscle tension and stress. The stretching creates a flexible upper body and strong muscles.
ALTERNATIVES TO DUMBBELL CROSSOVER PUNCH
For any injuries and assistance, talk to your trainer/gym instructor. Choose a dumbbell weight that best fits your fitness ability.
How to do it.
- Seat on a padded gym bench and hold the dumbbell at the handle with both hands in an overhand grip.
- Plant feet firmly on the ground and lay back on the bench lifting the dumbbell above your chest. Hold the weight tight to avoid accidents. This is your starting position.
- Brace your core, inhale and extend the dumbbell over your head keeping your back strong.
- Exhale and return to your starting position in a smooth and controlled motion.
- Make sure to maintain a straight back and slightly bent elbows.
- Do 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
CABLE CHEST FLY
Cable chest fly is a good workout for upper body development and strengthening.
Requirements: Dual cable machine.
How to do it:
- For any assistance with the pulley, talk to your trainer/gym instructor. Remember to use weights that best fit your fitness ability.
- Grab the handles, move to the center of the dual cable machine, and create tension on the cables. Keep feet firmly pressed on the floor in a shoulder-width distance. Keep knees and elbows slightly bent.
This is your starting position.
- Inhale and pull the handles together, palms facing forward while engaging your core and squeezing your chest.
- Slowly return to your starting position while exhaling.
- Perform 3 sets of 10 – 15 reps.
DUMBBELL SHOULDER PRESS
For a calm and still effective workout, a dumbbell shoulder press is just what you need.
How to do it:
- Grab two dumbbells (same weight) each on one hand in an overhand grip and feet in hip–width apart.
- Hold the dumbbells at the shoulders, knuckles facing up, and maintain a straight back. This is your starting position.
- Inhale as you raise the weights above your head in a controlled motion.
- Pause in this position, and then exhale as you return to your starting point.
- Remember to engage the core as you do the technique.
- Do 3 sets of 10 – 15 reps.
DUMBBELL CROSSOVER PUNCH MISTAKES TO AVOID
During workouts, maintaining a straight back is beneficial for your spine as it contributes to a healthy and well-postured spine. Rounding your back can lead to back pain and spine issues due to the pressure applied on the spine while it is not aligned.
OVER BENDING THE ELBOW
To achieve the right motion for Dumbbell Crossover Punch, you are required to fully stretch out your arms, to activate the primary muscles and lead to their development.
Having strong and flexible arms and shoulders is very beneficial as it helps you accomplish a lot of upper body workouts and lead to having strong and well-developed muscles.[related_posts_by_tax posts_per_page="4"]