The hammer strength incline press targets your upper body muscles. They include the shoulder, chest, forearms, and chest muscles.
The equipment that you need to perform this exercise is a hammer strength machine.
How to do the hammer strength incline press:
- Start by loading the weights to your desired level. Adjust the seat so that the handles of the machine are almost at your nipple level.
- Rest your head and back on the upright pad and press your feet firmly on the floor.
- Grab the handles while ensuring that your elbows bend downwards. Maintain a neutral spine and a tight core.
- While exhaling, push the handles upwards until your arms are fully extended.
- While inhaling, pull the handles downwards at 90 degrees on your elbows. This marks a complete rep.
- Perform to your desired number of repetitions. However, do not overdo it.
WHAT MUSCLES DOES THE HAMMER STRENGTH INCLINE PRESS WORK?
The hammer strength incline press mainly targets your chest muscles. While performing the peak movement of the workout, you squeeze your pecs. The pectorals are among the largest and strongest muscles in your body. Therefore, the exercise builds and strengthens them, hence improving your posture and promoting upper body strength.
While performing the technique, you engage your shoulder blades, hence strengthening them. Additionally, your chest muscles help in stabilizing your shoulder joint. Therefore, the risk of developing shoulder injury decreases.
The exercise builds and strengthens your triceps. While performing the exercise, you stretch and retract your triceps. This helps in toning them. Moreover, the exercise helps you to lose underarm fat. Strong triceps help you to do other variations of the chest exercises.
The hammer strength incline press engages your forearm muscles. This is because you push and pull the handles throughout the entire exercise. Additionally, the workout helps in enhancing your grip power.
HAMMER STRENGTH INCLINE PRESS BENEFITS
PROMOTES UPPER BODY STRENGTH
As mentioned earlier, the hammer strength incline press works your upper body muscles, particularly your chest. This promotes upper body strength, which is beneficial to daily activities. For instance, you can perform activities that involve holding, lifting, or pushing with less strain. Besides, the quality of your upper body exercises significantly improves.
PROMOTES GOOD POSTURE
Performing the exercise correctly and consistently significantly improves your posture. This is because your pectoral muscles help in stabilizing your shoulder joints and back muscles. Good posture enhances your physical appearance and reduces the instances of back pain. Furthermore, you experience better and deeper breathing.
IMPROVES YOUR UPPER BODY APPEARANCE
The technique grows and tones your chest muscles. This significantly improves your upper body physique. Besides, the routine grows the muscles that surround your breast tissues, hence promoting breast support. A well-sculpted upper body boosts your confidence and self-image.
SUITABLE FOR BEGINNERS
If you are a beginner and you want to build your chest muscles, this is the perfect exercise for you. This is because you can load weights that are in line with your endurance level. On top of that, you do not need a spotter since you are using a hammer strength machine. This will give you more confidence in yourself to achieve your fitness goals. The elderly can also perform this exercise since they sit throughout the entire exercise.
IT IS ISO- LATERAL
An important benefit of the exercise is that it uses a hammer strength machine, which is iso-lateral. This implies that both handles work independently. Therefore, you can move the handles simultaneously or alternatively. Additionally, you can use a single hand to perform the exercise. This makes your workout interesting since you can switch up the techniques.
ALTERNATIVES TO HAMMER STRENGTH INCLINE PRESS
INCLINE BENCH PRESS
The incline bench press is a great alternative since it also engages and strengthens your chest muscles. You will require an incline bench and barbell to perform the exercise. Alternatively, you can use a pair of dumbbells. Ensure that you select weights that you can comfortably lift to avoid straining your muscles.
How to do the incline bench press:
- Start by setting up the bench and inclining it to about 30 to 40 degrees and placing it under the barbell rack.
- Lie on the incline bench ensuring your face is facing upwards. Press your feet firmly on the floor and bend your knees.
- Position your hands on the barbell ensuring that the distance between them is more than your shoulder- width. Ensure that your palms face up.
- Remove the barbell from the rack and lift it until your arms are fully extended. Ensure that your hands are directly above your shoulders. This is your starting position.
- In a slow and controlled motion, lower the barbell to your mid-chest area. Pause for a while then lift the barbell to your starting position.
- Perform 10 to 15 repetitions for 10 sets.
The push-up is a simple exercise that strengthens your chest and shoulder muscles. You do not need any equipment to perform this exercise. You can use a yoga mat if you do not want to contact the ground directly.
How to do push-ups:
- Position yourself on all fours. The positioning of your hands should be wider than your shoulders for stability.
- Straighten your limbs.
- Gently lower your body until your chest area nearly touches the ground.
- Push yourself back up to the starting position.
- Perform your desired repetitions.
HAMMER STRENGTH INCLINE PRESS MISTAKES TO AVOID
FLARING YOUR ELBOWS
Avoid flaring your elbows since you strain your muscles. Moreover, you prevent the exercise from working the targeted muscles. Instead, ensure that your elbows point downwards at the starting position.
ARCHING YOUR BACK
Arching your back causes tension in your upper body muscles. Instead, maintain a straight back as it rests on the upright pad.
The hammer strength incline press is an awesome exercise to strengthen and sculpt your chest area. The exercise is beginner-friendly and it has diverse variations. Performing the routine consistently and correctly will reward you with impressive chest gains.