The ring push ups or, if you like, the ring press-up is a compound exercise that targets the chest, glutes, shoulders, lower and middle back, and triceps.
It is an easy exercise to perform and requires rings only. It has many variations, some of which require no equipment at all.
The exercise is easy to learn because it follows similar movements to regular push-ups. Many online videos can help you get up to speed with the exercise if you are new to it.
It is also known as ring press up.
Targeted muscles: Chest, shoulders, and abdominals
Exercise type: Strength
Exercise mechanics: Compound
Difficulty level: Beginner
Required Equipment: Rings, straps
- Tie a pair of straps with rings attached to them to a secure place above the ground. This could be a secure bar. Ensure the handles are raised slightly above the ground.
- Get down on all four limbs, then grab the handles one at a time. Ensure the distance between the rings is wide enough and your palms face each other. This should be the starting position.
- Straighten your legs and arms. Remember to hold the rings with a tight grip.
- Begin lowering your body till your chest comes close to the floor. You can perform the movement quickly or slowly, depending on your preference.
- When your chest is at its lowest position, rest for a moment.
- Push yourself back up to complete a rep.
- Repeat the rep as many times as you desire.
MUSCLES WORKED BY RING PUSH-UPS
Since ring push-up exercise is a compound workout, it targets many muscles at once.
The primary muscles worked by the exercise include the front shoulder, side shoulder, rear shoulder, upper chest, triceps, middle chest, rhomboids, and lower chest. Also, it works two secondary muscles: Wrist flexors and biceps.
BENEFITS OF RING PUSH-UPS
IT WILL STRENGTHEN YOUR SHOULDERS
Ring push-ups are an effective exercise for shoulder strength because they will work the muscles supporting the shoulder joint. It is unstable, in which the rings move freely. Therefore, the exercise will challenge your neuro-muscular system, which, in turn, will force your body to stabilize itself.
It will challenge your rotator cuffs and will strengthen them. In return, you will have stronger shoulders which are less susceptible to injuries.
IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR JOINT STRENGTH
The ring push-ups are unstable as the rings tend to rotate frequently. This will force your wrists, shoulders, and elbows to rotate along as they search for a comfortable position.
It will, therefore, protect your connective and joint tissues compared to the standard push-ups exercise, which has no rotation and will not put tremendous strain on your tendons and ligaments.
IT CAN IMPROVE YOUR BENCH PRESS TECHNIQUE
An effect of improved shoulder stability is the strengthening of the shoulders, which will help you generate power that can improve your performance during bench press exercises.
If you lack strong shoulders, it can hold you back from performing bench press exercises. Also, a lack of shoulder stability will prevent you from balancing a barbell, which will prevent you from bench pressing.
Therefore, performing the ring push-ups will strengthen your shoulders, giving you the strength to perform bench press exercises properly.
ALTERNATIVES OF RING PUSH-UPS EXERCISE
DUMBBELL CHEST PRESS
The dumbbell chest press is an exercise that allows you to press heavy weights while lying on a bench or a flat surface. It targets the triceps, delts, and pecs. The exercise will give you strength and improve your mobility.
- Lie flat on a bench or your back, holding a pair of dumbbells in each hand. Ensure your feet are flat on the ground.
- Point your palms towards your feet and extend your arms above your shoulders.
- Begin lowering the weight to the side by squeezing your shoulder blades and bending your elbows until it forms 90-degree angles.
- Push the weights back to the starting position. Remember to squeeze your shoulder blades throughout the movement. This is the end of one rep.
- Repeat as many times as you desire.
MISTAKES TO AVOID WHEN PERFORMING RING PUSH-UPS
STRETCHING YOUR ARMS FAR FORWARD
People tend to push their arms forward when performing the ring push-ups. This is will lead to inappropriate use of the abs and core muscles and will exert unwanted stress on your joints and muscles. You can avoid this mistake by positioning your hands directly above your shoulders thro
ughout the movement.
POSITIONING YOUR HIPS TOO LOW
It is vital to position your hips correctly when performing the ring push-ups.
If you drop your hips lower than your shoulder level, you will have to extend your lower back as you compensate for the incorrect positioning.
In return, you will not be using your abdominals to stabilize your body and might injure your lower back. To avoid the mistake, position your hips at the same level as your shoulders.
Another common mistake with the ring push-ups is pointing your elbows to the side.
I’m afraid that’s not right because it will force your head to meet your hands at the bottom position. It can result in shoulder pain. To prevent this, angle your elbow back towards your wrist.
Some might feel pain in their wrists when performing the ring push-ups. The pain will occur as you bend your hands backward.
It is not common, though. If it happens to you, see a doctor as soon as possible. You can also try out a few physician-approved exercise techniques.
The ring push-up exercise is perfect for building larger and more robust arms. It is challenging enough and will teach you to stabilize your body as the rings rotate.
It has other benefits, including strengthening your shoulders and joints and improving your performance during bench press workouts.
It is easy to learn and perform and does not require special training. It has a few risks which you can overcome by following the outlined steps.
It is a convenient exercise that you can perform at home conveniently. Try its alternatives if it is too challenging for you, such as the dumbbell chest press.
Give it a try!