The standing Arnold press is a common exercise for bodybuilders. As the name suggests, it was first performed and popularized by Arnold Schwarzenegger.
He is the godfather of the exercise. It adds to the collection of dumbbell exercises and comes with several benefits. It is an easy exercise to perform and requires a dumbbell only.
It is suitable for trainers across all age groups. Also, it is suitable for bodybuilders who would like to gain a physique similar to Arnold’s.
It is also known as Arnold Dumbbell press or Arnold Press.
Hey, before you continue reading, check this out: A new proven way to lose up to 22 pounds (10kgs) in just 6 weeks without starvation or exercising for hours – click here to see it
Targeted Muscles: Deltoids, Upper body, and Arms.
Exercise Type: Strength.
Exercise Mechanics: Isolation.
Required Equipment: Dumbbell.
Difficulty Level: Intermediate.
- Stand in an upright position while holding two dumbbells in your hands. Ensure your feet are positioned your hip-width apart, and your hips slightly bent. Maintain a neutral head and neck and tucked chin. Stabilize yourself by stepping on the ground firmly.
- Raise the dumbbells above your shoulders. Ensure your palms face your body. Also, lock your upper arms close to your ribcage. Point your elbows towards the floor. This is your starting position.
- Engage your core and pre-tension your hips and shoulders.
- Initiate the press while maintaining a neutral wrist and spinal alignment. Move your elbow away from your body and out wide.
- Using one fluid motion, press the dumbbells above your head while rotating your arms to face away from your body.
- When the dumbbells reach the top of the movement, bend your elbows slightly. Pause for a second.
- Begin lowering the weights by pulling your lats and bending your elbows. Rotate your arms until they face your body. Return to the starting position.
- Repeat the rep as many times as you wish.
MUSCLES WORKED BY STANDING ARNOLD PRESS
The Standing Arnold Press is a comprehensive website that targets the shoulder muscles. Unlike other upper body workouts, such as the overhead press, the standing Arnold press will activate your posterior, anterior, and lateral deltoids.
BENEFITS OF STANDING ARNOLD PRESS
IT WILL STABILIZE YOUR SHOULDERS
The standing Arnold press is a mid-lift twist. It requires rotation of the wrists. The rotation will work your stabilizer muscles and, as a result, will improve your shoulder stability. Also, the rotation of the shoulder joint when subjected to heavy load will improve the stability of your shoulders.
IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR MUSCLE DEVELOPMENT
The exercise will put your shoulders under immense tension. If you perform the exercise for a longer duration, it will lead to lean muscle development. Since it targets your deltoids, it will grow those muscles significantly.
IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR POSTURE
The Standing Arnold press will improve your posture by improving your structural balance. Since it works the shoulder muscles, it will proportionally develop your mass and strength, giving you a good posture. Also, it trains the rear deltoids, which are responsible for the backward pull of the shoulders. It will therefore improve your looks.
IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR STRENGTH
The standing Arnold press is a strength exercise. Working your shoulder muscles will contribute to your strength. The rotation of the shoulder and wrist joints will enhance their strength. Also, improving your stability will add to your strength.
ALTERNATIVES TO STANDING ARNOLD PRESS
Cuban Presses are a suitable alternative for the standing Arnold press because it targets the shoulders, upper back, and rotator cuffs like the former. In a single sequence, the exercise can train many muscles and initiate the rotation of the shoulders during the press. It is relatively easy to do with its only requirement being a dumbbell. It possesses several benefits, including boosting your strength and improving your posture.
- Lift a barbell to your hip level using an overhand grip. The distance between your hands should be shoulder-width apart. You can use a thumbless grip if you want the exercise to be more effective. Also, ensure you stand with your feet spread hip-width apart, core braced, shoulders pulled back, and knees slightly bent.
- Bend your elbows slightly and push the barbell to your chest level until your upper arm is parallel to the ground.
- Without dropping your upper arm, rotate your shoulders while raising the bar until it reaches your head level.
- Lower the bar back to the starting position.
- Repeat the rep as many times as you desire.
MISTAKES TO AVOID WHEN PERFORMING STANDING ARNOLD PRESS
FLARING OUT THE BOW
A common mistake with overhead press workouts such as the Standing Arnold Press is flaring out of the shoulders. When performing the Standing Arnold Press, flaring out your shoulder will turn the exercise into a regular shoulder press. Therefore, it will focus on your middle delts instead of the anterior and rear delts. This will slow down the growth of the muscles you intend to exercise. Also, flaring out the shoulders will suggest inadequate tension on your back and impact your performance. It can also increase your elbow and shoulder joint stress. To avoid this mistake, angle your elbows properly. This will allow you to move the weights properly and draw additional power from your shoulders and triceps to aid the lift.
SHRUGGING THE SHOULDERS WHEN PRESSING HEAVYWEIGHTS
Another common mistake with the standing Arnold Press is shrugging the shoulders when lifting heavyweights. This often occurs when you have performed many reps and tired muscles. It will force you to shrug your shoulders as you try to find the energy to perform more reps. Shrugging the shoulders is harmful because it can lead to shoulder injuries. It can sprain your shoulder ligaments and strain your rotator cuff muscles. The solution to the problem is performing enough reps and resting when tired.
The Standing Arnold Press is an effective workout for a stronger shoulder and arms. It is good for bodybuilders and fitness training. Because it is an isolation exercise, it is effective for improving strength. It is an exercise you can easily perform at home if you have a pair of dumbbells lying around. It has a few risks which you can easily overcome if you follow the manual on how to perform it correctly. Give it a try!