The see saw press is a strength exercise that targets the core, upper body, and shoulders. It relies on kettlebells or dumbbells.
It varies from the standard shoulder press exercise because of its technique, which requires you to alternate the weights.
Unlike other shoulder workouts, it will allow you to use heavier weights. This adds a significant amount of difficulty to the exercise, making it one of the best strength exercises around. It is a relatively easy exercise to do and will significantly help you grow your muscles.
It is also known as alternating side press, dumbbell see-saw press, or kettlebell see-saw press.
Targeted muscles: Abs, arms, shoulders.
Exercise type: Strength.
Exercise Mechanics: Isolation.
Difficulty level: Intermediate.
Required Equipment: Dumbbells or kettlebells.
- Begin the exercise by finding a pair of similarly weighing dumbbells or kettlebells.
- Grab each weight in one arm and clean them. Make sure your palms face inwards and at chest level. This is the starting position.
- Extend your right arm over your head. Remember to rotate your wrists as you extend your arms. This will make your palms face inwards. Also, bend your torso slightly in the opposite direction.
- Bring the weights back to the starting position as you prepare to alternate your hands.
- Repeat the rep with your opposite hand.
- Repeat the exercise until you meet or surpass your set target. Ensure each hand performs the same number of reps.
MUSCLES WORKED BY SEE SAW PRESS
The see saw press will work different muscles based on your technique and range of motion. In most cases, it will work the traps and deltoids. It will also work the Abs and triceps to a lesser degree.
BENEFITS OF SEE SAW PRESS
IT WILL GIVE YOU STRONGER MUSCLES
The see saw press is a resistance exercise that will put pressure on your triceps and shoulders. This will cause those muscles to grow in size, which, in turn, will give you the energy to propel heavier weights. Therefore, it will make you stronger.
IT CAN HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT
The see saw press requires a lot of energy, especially when performing it quickly. Also, it uses more energy than other regular activities. It will, therefore, use your extra muscle mass, which will burn your calories. It will help you lose weight, giving you a leaner and more muscular look.
SLOWS DOWN AGEING MARKERS
While the see saw press will not reduce your years literally, it will slow down specific aging markers responsible for negative health effects. This will make you look younger for longer.
IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR SLEEPING PATTERN
Performing intensive sessions of the see saw press exercise will fatigue your muscles, which, in turn, will force you to take adequate rest for recovery. This will make you sleep for longer. It will also improve the quality of your sleep.
IT WILL IMPROVE YOUR BALANCE AND COORDINATION
The see saw exercise involves alternating the movement of the weights in both hands. This will force you to stabilize your body as you alternate the movement of the weights. In return, it will improve your coordination.
ALTERNATIVES OF SEE SAW PRESS
BARBELL SHOULDER PRESS
The barbell shoulder press is a bodybuilding exercise that will strengthen your biceps, triceps, abs, and deltoids. It is also known as the barbell overhead press or the standing barbell overhead press. It involves standing in front of a loaded barbell and lifting it above your head.
- Find a barbell and a pair of identical weights. Attach the weights to the barbell.
- Grab the barbell, ensuring that your palms are shoulder-width apart. Press it to your chest height. Also, ensure your feet are spread slightly to give you a stable stance.
- Tense your body by squeezing your glutes and quads. Lift your chest slightly and push your head back to create a clear path for the bar. Make sure not to extend your spine while lifting your chest.
- Rotate your shoulders and point your elbows downwards. Allow the barbell to rest on the heel of your palms.
- Move the barbell upwards. Maintain a neutral spine during the movement. Continue moving the barbell until you are fully hands are almost fully stretched.
- When the barbell is overhead, push your head forward to a neutral position. Use your shoulders and upper back muscles to support the weights above your head. Pause for a moment.
- Begin lowering the weights back to the chest height by bending your elbows. The movement should be slow to prevent jacking your elbows. This should be the end of one rep.
- Repeat the rep until you beat your set target.
MISTAKES TO AVOID WHEN PERFORMING THE SEE SAW PRESS
Lifters tend to hyper-extend their wrists backward. This results in a poor elbow position and will limit your rigidity during the press. It can occur if your positioning is poor or if you are lazy. When performing the see saw press, you should hold the weights firmly. Squeezing the weights will activate your forearms, back muscles, and biceps, which will increase your motor skills.
PRESSING THE WEIGHTS FORWARD
Another common mistake with the see saw press is pushing the weights forward. Doing this will interfere with the vertical travel of the weights, which will make the exercise less efficient. This mistake often happens to beginners, mostly because of poor positioning and reduced overhead mobility. Recovering from pressing the weight forward will require a lot of energy and can cause immense discomfort. Avoid this by pressing the weights vertically from the beginning. Stabilize yourself before lifting the weights to eliminate poor positioning as a cause of pressing the weights forward.
The see saw press is an effective exercise for bodybuilders and military athletes. Its mechanics allows for strengthening the shoulders, abs, chest, and triceps, all of which contribute to the athletic look sought by bodybuilders and military athletes.
The exercise has numerous benefits with few risks. You can overcome the risks by following the steps above. It is better than its alternatives because it will allow you to lift heavier weights. Give it a try.