The cable crossover fly is an effective exercise for working the chest muscles. You will need a cable machine to perform this exercise. Ensure that you set the weights according to your fitness needs.
Do not prioritize weights over technique. Performing the right technique will promote effectiveness of the exercise.
How to do the cable crossover fly:
- Start by setting up the cable machine. Attach the D- shaped handles to the upper section of the cable machine. Ensure that you position the handles high enough so that they are slightly above your shoulder height when you drop them.
- Make any necessary adjustments on the weights.
- Grip the handles of the machine, one at a time and position yourself at the center.
- Take a step forward, one leg in front of the other. Ensure your front knee is bent.
- Keep your shoulders and back straight.
- While your palms are facing outwards, push both handles so that your hands meet in the middle of your chest. Exhale while doing this.
- Inhale while returning the handles to the starting position. The motion should be slow and controlled.
- Repeat 10 to 15 times for 3 sets.
WHAT MUSCLES DOES THE CABLE CROSSOVER FLY WORK?
The cable crossover fly targets the pectorals, which are the largest muscles in the chest area. The exercise tones, builds and strengthens both the pectoralis major and minor.
The cable crossover fly is an effective chest exercise since it stretches the chest muscles from the starting position to the execution of the entire routine.
Setting the cable machine at the highest level, focuses on your lower pectorals. On the other hand, setting the levers at the lowest position, targets your upper pectorals.
The cable crossover fly is a great exercise for the anterior deltoid (shoulder) muscle. The exercise engages your shoulders while pushing and returning the handles. This is beneficial to your body since it not only strengthens your shoulders, but also promotes good posture.
The routine is beneficial to your upper arms since it tones and strengthens your triceps. Additionally, the exercise plays a significant role in burning sagging fats on your under arms.
CABLE CROSSOVER FLY BENEFITS
The pectoral muscles are essential in promoting good posture. Therefore, working the pectoral muscles through the cable crossover fly enables the pectorals to stabilize the shoulder joint.
This results in good posture, which plays a significant role in preventing back pain.
The exercise improves your breathing rate. The cable crossover fly targets your pectoral muscles, which are attached to your ribs. The ribs expand as your inhale and exhale during the exercise, hence promoting deeper breathing.
The exercise builds and tones the chest muscles, which accentuates your appearance. The exercise is beneficial to both genders.
For ladies, the routine lifts, supports, and builds the breast tissue, which improves the appearance.
For men, the exercise builds and widens the chest area, hence making you more attractive. Incorporating the cable crossover fly in your workout routine will boost your self- image and confidence.
Strength is an important aspect of daily activities. The exercise strengthens your chest muscles, which gives you endurance to perform daily and athletic activities with minimal strain.
Performing the correct technique of the cable crossover fly burns a lot of calories in the chest region. This promotes muscle gain and fat loss.
Your susceptibility of acquiring lifestyle disorders decreases since your health improves.
ALTERNATIVES TO CABLE CROSSOVER FLY
The bench press is a great exercise to work your chest muscles. You will require a barbell and a bench to perform this exercise.
How to do the bench press:
- Lie flat on a leveled bench to provide support to your head and neck.
- Position your feet firmly on the ground. Ensure that your knees are bent at 90 degrees.
- Grasp the barbell above you with both hands ensuring they are slightly wider than your shoulder width. Ensure the barbell is above and parallel to your shoulders.
- With your hands facing away from your body, gently raise the barbell from the rack and lower it till it almost touches your chest. Do this while inhaling.
- While exhaling, push the barbell up to your starting position.
- Repeat the routine 10 times for 3 rounds.
Push-ups are great alternatives to work the chest muscles. You will require a yoga mat to perform this exercise.
How to do push- ups:
- Start by getting on all fours. Ensure the space between your hands is slightly wider than your shoulder width.
- Straighten your entire body from head to toe.
- Suspend your body through supporting it with your hands and toes.
- Gently lower your body until your chest almost touches the mat.
- While on the mat pause slightly then gently push your body back up. The movement should be slow and controlled.
- Repeat 10 to15 times for 3 reps.
CABLE CROSSOVER FLY MISTAKES TO AVOID
FAILURE TO ENGAGE YOUR CORE
While performing the exercise you should engage your core. Failure to engage it affects your stability. You are likely to fall or perform the routine incorrectly. To enhance your stability, also ensure that your legs are positioned correctly.
HANDS RISING ABOVE THE ELBOWS
Raising your hands above your elbows strains your arm muscles. You are likely to get fatigued easily and fail to complete the rep correctly. Moreover, the wrong technique will not give you the desired effect on your chest muscles.
SWINGING THE WEIGHTS TOO FAST
Swinging the weights too fast interrupts the muscle tension. You end up wasting your time since the technique does not work the chest muscles. The movement should be slow and controlled.
The cable crossover fly is a great exercise to build, tone, and strengthen your chest muscles. Consistent and correct performance of the exercise gives you a fit physique, which boosts your self- confidence. While in doubt on the use of the cable machine, consult your gym instructor in order to get good results.