The ab ripper x exercises are a short bodyweight workout that challenges you to complete 300 reps that target the core within or just above 15 minutes.
This exercise is perfect when you want to get in some intense workout in a short time.
The ab ripper x is made up of 11 core exercises which you do 25 reps in quick succession.
The moves borrow from Pilates, strength training and yoga.
Ab ripper x exercises aren’t suitable for novices. You need core strength and body awareness from extensive training before adding it to your routine.
To do this exercise:
- In and Outs: Sit on a mat with your knees bent. Reach your arms towards the ceiling so your upper arms are against your ears. Lift your feet off the ground as the knees pull closer to your chest. Extend the legs long to make a 45-degree angle with the floor. Pull the knees back to complete a rep.
- Seated bicycle: Remain in your v-shape position then pedal your legs.
- Crunchy frog: assume the start position of the in and outs. Pull your knees to your chest and wrap your arms around them. Open your arms wide or reach them to the roof as you lengthen your legs parallel to the floor.
- Wide–leg sit-ups: Lie down with your legs mat-distance apart or wider. Place your right hand behind your head and leave your left arm alongside your torso and rest it on the mat. Sit up and touch your right foot with your left hand across your body. Roll back to complete one rep.
- Hip rock and raise: Lie on a mat with your knees bent. Let your soles touch each other and lean your knees away from each other to form a butterfly. Roll your hips up while keeping your feet together and knees open. Return your butterfly legs to the ground to complete a rep.
- Pulse–up: Stay on your back. Extend both legs straight up so that your body forms a 90-degree angle. Pulse up by lifting your back off the floor as high up as you can. Keep your legs together. Repeat 25 times. Try not to bend your knees.
- Fifer scissors: Lie on your back with your legs extended straight in front of you. Keep your hands on the floor beside you. Lift one leg slightly off the floor and the other up to a 90-degree angle. Bring that leg down then bring the other up to a 90-degree angle. Mimic scissor movements 25 times. Do this slowly and ensure you engage your abs.
- Roll-up and V-Up combo: Start with the roll-up. Lie on your back with your legs straight in front of you. Do a sit-up with your legs remaining straight. Once you sit up, touch your toes and return to the lying down position.
Finish the motion with the v-up, sit-up with your hands in front of you but bring your legs up as well. You will form a v-shape with your back and legs. Try to touch your toes with your hands as you move up then return to starting position. Complete 25 reps of the roll-up and v-up combo.
- Oblique v-up: Lie on your right side with your hips bent so your legs make a 45-degree angle with your torso. Raise your body on your right forearm and elbow and place your left arm behind your head. Keep your legs together as you bend your knees and lift them off the ground to do a side crunch. At the same time, bring your left elbow to your knees. Repeat 25 times.
- Leg climb: Lay on your back with your knees bent. Extend one leg straight up. Do a partial sit-up and touch the toes of the extended leg. Complete 13 reps for each leg.
- Mason twist: Start at the sitting position with your hands clasped together in front of you. Twist your body and touch the floor to the other side. When you touch one side then the other, you complete one rep. Complete 50 reps. To add a challenge, hold a medicine ball in your hands.
WHAT MUSCLES DO AB RIPPER X EXERCISES WORK?
The ab ripper x exercises primarily target the core.
The core is a group of muscles that includes the internal and external obliques which as the muscles at the side of your waist.
It also includes the intercostals and serratus which are the muscles around your ribs.
The traverse abdominis is the six-pack muscles which run from your diaphragm to your pelvis.
These muscles work together to help you bend, twist and stabilize your spine. The ab ripper x exercises help strengthen your core.
AB RIPPER X EXERCISES BENEFITS
There are multiple ab ripper x exercises benefits.
1. STRONGER CORE
Working on your abs strengthens your core. This reduces the risk of injury when you’re bending, walking, running or just standing through daily activities.
2. IMPROVED ATHLETIC PERFORMANCE
Many sporting activities require core strength. Working on your abs will enable you to effectively transfer energy from your core to your limbs.
Ab ripper x exercises also help improve stability and balance. Having a stronger mobile core enables you to lift heavier weights.
3. REDUCE LOWER BACK PAIN
Having weak ab muscles can lead to lower back pain. Making your core stronger and more flexible helps take the strain off your lower back muscles.
ALTERNATIVES TO AB RIPPER X EXERCISES
If you aren’t an advanced trainer, you may struggle to do ab ripper x exercises. They are also difficult to do if you are recovering from an injury or exercising to lose weight.
Here are some substitutes to the ab ripper x exercises:
1. FOREARM PLANK
To do this exercise:
- Place your elbows on the ground underneath your shoulders. Press your palms into the floor.
- Place your feet hip-width apart. Dig your toes into the ground and press your heels back.
- Pull your navel towards your spine and hold the position for some time.
2. DEAD BUGS
To do this exercise:
- Lay on your back and put your hips and knees at right angles.
- Press your palms into your thighs above your knees.
- Pulling your navel towards your spine, extend your right arm and leg at the same time until they’re almost touching the ground.
- Exhale and return to starting position.
3. BARBELL AB ROLLOUTS
To do this exercise:
- Load a barbell with 5kg weights on each end.
- Get into a kneeling position and place your hands on the barbell a little wider shoulder-width.
- Engage your abs, inhale and slowly roll the bar out.
- Extend as far as you can without arching your back.
- Exhale as you roll back to starting position.
The P90X ab ripper x exercises are done in around 16 minutes with no break. If you feel any strain while doing them, ensure you stop immediately to avoid injury.